DMG & TMG – life changing for some with ASD

Thought I would give a “shout out” to two of my FAVORITE supplements. The supplements that made a huge impact in my sons life.  The supplements that made me say, “Wow this biomedical stuff is actually working.”

Keep in mind, Anthony only had a hand full of words before we started DMG and TMG.  And before that, he only started keeping words after we started him on a probiotic. (I will discuss that in another post)

First off, what is DMG?

”  DMG consists of the amino acid glycine attached to two methyl groups, according to physician Ray Sahelian, who specializes in natural supplements. The synthesis of many substances in the body depends on methyl groups, and DMG is important for the synthesis of DNA and RNA, the essential nutrient choline, the essential amino acid methionine and certain vitamins, hormones, neurotransmitters and enzymes.

Proponents of DMG supplements claim it enhances the immune system, boosts neurological function and athletic performance and helps treat epilepsy and autism, according to the MSKCC. Sahelian calls DMG an anti-stress supplement that may have anti-aging effects, ”  Read more here

What is TMG?

TMG is an important cofactor in methylation, a process that occurs in every cell of mammals to synthesize and donate methyl groups (CH3) for other processes in the body. These processes include the synthesis of neurotransmitters such as dopamineserotonin. Methylation is also required for the biosynthesis of melatonin and the electron transport chain constituent coenzyme Q10.  Read more here

All very confusing right?  Well, let me put it this way.  DMG and TMG help with methylation.  With 90% of our kids on the autism spectrum having issues with methylation, which usually result in speech or sensory processing issues, DMG and TMG are great supplements to try.  Especially since they have been reported to have a 50% success rate for ASD kids.  (read about that here)

Now let me tell you about our experience with DMG and TMG…..

When we first started seeing Dr. Sletten (Our DAN doctor.) he started Anthony on methyl b-12 injections, hoping it would help with Anthony’s speech and stimming behaviors (toe walking, drooling, repeating words, head dragging. )

When we started them I didn’t see instantaneous results.  His stimming behaviors actually got worse, and boy was he hyper.  But Dr. S told us that this is very common when you first rev up methylation, especially in a kid that is lacking in the process. So we stuck with it.  (You can watch a video of how Anthony was behaving   here.  I only post this because I want parents to realize where a child can be with only 1-2 months of treatment, and how much better it can get. Watch the video I link to at end of post).

However, when Anthony’s OAT’s test result came back (NutrEval), Dr. S believed Anthony needed more than methly b-12 injections.  He believed that the supplement DMG would be more beneficial.

When we started DMG, we again saw the increase in stimming behaviors, and hyperness.  But this time, when they went away, Anthony had a word explosion! That word explosion all the mothers talk about happening to their children at 18-24 months old… well, DMG triggered that for Anthony at 3 1/2 years old.  Even his speech therapist was a witness to it.  Every word we said, Anthony could attempt.  It was during this time, that we started to witness his drooling subsiding.  A stimming behavior that Anthony always did when he was excited or nervous.

A few months later it was obvious that the DMG was working.  We were seeing amazing changes in Anthony’s speech and his attention span.  We also saw a new awareness in Anthony when it came to temperature.  It was as if for the first time in his life, he could feel cold and warmth.

This was the DMG Anthony was given:

You can order it here at Spectrum supplements  Use Coupon Code: BIOMED for a discount

When we told Dr. S about all the new changes, he believed that moving Anthony up to TMG might help even more, since Anthony was obviously a responder.   Again we had the two weeks of hyperness and stimming behaviors (the drooling came back) but then Anthony’s speech took another huge jump, about a month after we put him on the TMG.  He started talking in sentences! And again, his speech therapist was a witness to the big change and was amazed.  Anthony was saying sentences like, “Read me book mommy” , “Mommy, sissy needs bunny”, ” I love Super Why”.  Yes, this was a huge deal!  Especially for a child that was completely non-verbal a few months earlier.

This is the TMG Anthony still takes:

tmg_trimethylglycine_liquid_-_16_oz

You can click on the pic above to go to Spectrum Supplement to order it.  Use coupon Code: BIOMED for a discount

We started Anthony on DMG in October of 2010, and by February 2012, Anthony was therapy free. With only a little over a year of bio-medical treatment.

Increasing methylation has been a huge part of Anthony’s recovery, and every day when I give Anthony his TMG, I look at that bottle and I know it is one of Anthony’s “silver bullets”.

A pic of Anthony with his cousin Sierra. “Sierra” use to be one of Anthony’s stimmy words he would repeat to calm himself.
DSC_0815-Edit

If you watched the video I posted a link to above, then I urge you to watch this one, taken a month ago.  The change is amazing! (sorry about the quality)

If your child is still non-verbal, or stalled out with healing, I highly suggest you talk to your doctor about methylation, and the options that are available.  And of course, ALWAYS talk to your doctor first before starting a new supplement.  They are the ones that can tell you the exact dosage your child should be receiving for the best outcome, and if a new supplement is beneficial for your child’s unique situation.

1. Sharon
    Sharon September 2, 2017 at 9:40 am | | Reply

Hi Kimberly

My 3 and a half year old son is taking DMG 125mg capsule since 2 weeks ago each morning along with his multivitamin liquid drink and no results, he also takes b12 methyl 1000mcg. How long will it take to see results with the DMG and when to start TMG? He also takes probiotic with tsp of fish oil and P5P with magnesium in the evening. He is starting preschool on Monday and anxious for him because of his speech delay and sensory issues and is not potty trained as does not understand the concept and have tried him on and off throughout the summer and still not ready hopefully he will potty train either mid term in October or at Christmas.

2. sneja
    sneja September 3, 2017 at 9:07 am | | Reply

Hi, i am from a country in East Europe – Bulgaria.
    I plan to contact dr. Sletten, so that we try to find a way to help my little boy.
    I have a question – before you started your son on DMG, was he cognitive, I mean, how was his receptive language, could he understand language, could he follow commands? I understand, he could not talk before that, i.e. he lacked expressive language, b

3. sneja
    sneja September 5, 2017 at 1:19 am | | Reply

Thanks a lot for your reply.
    That changes the picture a lot. Because I cant potty train my boy – no receptive and no expressive language.
    I wonder if there are parents here who gained receptive language with DMG.

4. sneja
    sneja September 7, 2017 at 2:05 am | | Reply

Can you, please, also tell me what brand phophatydil serine do you use for Anthony?

And the above question, do you know parents whose kids receptive language was bettered by DMG?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME TO ANSWER 🙂

5. Sharon
    Sharon September 17, 2017 at 8:40 am | | Reply

Hi Kimberly

My 3 and half year old son is still taking DMG x 3 capsules of 125mg with the multivitamin drink in the morning over a month now and he has two words yes and hi he makes alot of sounds and would you suggest to finish the course of dmg capsules and start him on the tmg. Should he specifically take the florastor probiotic as he is taking the brand udo probiotic and spoonful of fish oil with p5p and magnesium in the evening.

He has started preschool and has sensory issues along with speech delay his teacher said he is sociable and happy and is aware of his speech and sensory issues she asked about speech and language therapy for him. He is on a waiting list for early intervention for his speech delay and sensory issues and we will try get him seen in the next few weeks and hopefully not to wait for months as originally confirmed. Would the early intervention help him combined with the vitamin therapy? as so desperate to help him with his speech and sensory.

Kind Regards
    Sharon

6. Lauren O’Bryan
    Lauren O’Bryan October 30, 2017 at 9:47 pm | | Reply

Hi Kimberly! I have been following your site for months now and let me first say thank you for sharing your journey and providing such amazing information. My son is 2.5 and, very much like Anthony’s story, has been doing speech therapy, behavioral therapy, etc for nearly a year with no gains. My son has almost all of the same symptoms you documented Anthony had in the beginning of your biomed journey (head dragging, tip toe walking, loose/foul smelling stools (not formed, yet not diarrhea, severe speech delay,etc etc). Anyhow, I am curious if you have any information on Dr. Sletten at this stage in the game. We live in Kentucky, very rural area. I have investigated all the “options” for DAN/MAP docs as well as naturopathic and integrative peds, and after intense research, am not happy with the options. I have called Dr. Sletten’s office multiple, and I mean multiple (at least 25 times just in the last week and a half) and I always get the recording. I leave a message, but never receive a call back. I am willing to travel anywhere if I know the doctor can help. Do you happen to know if Dr. Sletten is still accepting patients? Perhaps an alternate way to reach his office? I hate asking, but I am reaching my breaking point and am desperate to try anything to get help. 23andme no longer offers the “assisted” kits for toddlers, so I have made an appointment for genetic testing in Cincinnati, OH, but that appointment is still nearly two months away. I also ordered an OAT test, but am still attempting to collect urine (not going well for me). Anyhow, I am very interested in potentially attempting to start DMG, but am scared to death to try before I get the proper genetic testing done. I’m losing my mind with each passing day, though. At this point, I will do anything to get some help.
    Again, thank you so very much for all of your time and documentation along your journey. It has been immensely helpful to me thus far. Any other recommendations you have to help me understand biomed more thoroughly? Books? Articles? I would be ecstatic if I could understand 1/10th of what you know. You are amazing!
    Thanks so much!
    Lauren O.

7. RANIA
    RANIA November 19, 2017 at 7:39 pm | | Reply

PLEASE WHAT PROBIOTICS THAT CONTAIN ANTI FUNGAL FOR YOUR SON???

8. unmesha
    unmesha December 6, 2017 at 9:43 pm | | Reply

hi, I have 4.5 year old son who is autistic and non verbal.. i have done his eeg and ecg tests but nothing comes up..right now i am giving him homeopathy medicine but not getting satisfing results..please suggest me what tests need to be done for him to start the process of giving Dmg and tmg.

unmesha

9. Vishal
    Vishal December 18, 2017 at 3:49 am | | Reply

Hi Kinmberly,

I am so happy to read your blog which for the first time looks genuine and not for making money,I am from India and I have a son who has just turned 3,He is still non verbal and doesnt talk at all..We got his basic blood testing done and only Vitamin d3 was very less and started with 60,000 IU per week, it has been now 4 weeks but not much improvements.We showed him to a clinical psychiatrist and after evaluations she has said I dont think he comes under “ASD” but she gave a syrup called Cognitam which has Priacatem and along with 0.25 mg of Sizodon (risperidone) but we started him just with Cognitam and we are not giving him (risperidone).Which even his Paed felt is not necessary right now at this young age.

I want to share that his eye contact is good and he responds to simple instructions like give me remote,swtich on tv,he opens the door if bell rings etc..But he cannot understand complex instructions yet, He doesnt listen to us if he is engrossed in mobile,Tv or if he is playing.if he is not doing anything he listens to us.He doesnt have repititive behaviours like hand flapping,rocking etc but he likes to play with each toy repititively for 5 to 10 minutes then he will play with other toy, he can speak 4 to 5 words like Mumma,Papa,Dada,Didi but only when we force him or cajole him otherwise he will not speak a single word!

We have just started him with OT ..he goes for 4 classes per week, and he just loves these classes and doesnt want to come back! He is not toilet trained yet, though he will never wet bed he will get down and do it on floor but not on bed,if we take him to toilet on time he would do it there but wont ask us to take him!

Ok Now I want to know can I start DMG? we cannot make him do salaiva testing as he will not spit so much to fill the tube, Plus shall we start him with Multivitamin like Nutera with high Vitamin B6? I just want to tell you that his Vitamin B12 is very good near to the maximum recomended levels.Vitamin B6 was not tested..But I dont want to prick him again for any blood test as he is very uncooperative for blood test.

We are so anxious parents like all parents for whose kids have not started talking and it is taking a toll on our health with sleepless Nights.

Please do help us with your expert guidance.

10. Vishal
    Vishal December 31, 2017 at 6:05 am | | Reply

Dear Kinmberly,

Thanks alot for your comments,We were on holidays and I had not seen your reply.Yes you are right that testing is the way forward so that we target with the right medication/nutrition support.

Please let me know how to contact Dr.Catanzaro, I would like to consult him and then do the testing.

In the meantime I had ordered DMG and Nutera, Can we start giving for say 15 days and check if he has any improvements and by that time we will even get the testing done.

Thanks for your support.

11. James
    James January 28, 2018 at 10:57 pm | | Reply

Hi kim…

When started dmg… was anthony in undermethylated or overmethylated group… thanks i jusy wonder dmg suitable for overmethylated group like my son

12. Aris
    Aris April 15, 2018 at 11:39 am | | Reply

Hi Kimberly., what brand of TMG did you use (the one wich has MB12 and folinic acid in it.)

13. Tamara
    Tamara May 8, 2018 at 5:50 am | | Reply

Dear, how to start with DMG, what are the starting doses? Thank you

14. Unmesha
    Unmesha May 14, 2018 at 6:23 pm | | Reply

I have started biomedical treatment for my 5 year old boy.he is under methylated and his pyroll results are also double than normal range(25 normal is under 12).Dr suggested following treatment for him:
    1.Nac pink tablet
    2.vitamin S 2000iu
    3.cod liver oil 10mls
    4.COQ10
    5.methylb12 Injections
    6.zink 25 mg
    7.Tmg 500
    DR Also suggested for gluten free and casein free diet.
    Now after 4 weeks my son is very hyperactive and started biting himself when stressed and sometimes biting me and my other son also. Is these are side effects of treatment or this way he will be fine after some days.
    -Unmesha

15. Kristine
    Kristine June 12, 2018 at 5:30 pm | | Reply

I was just curious my kids have the MTHFR gene are speech delayed. I have the gene as well. Were you just giving TMG or b12 and folinic acid?

16. Elizabeth Kerr
    Elizabeth Kerr June 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm | | Reply

I just started my Sawyer on 500mg of TMG. It is making him calmer and less stimmy. This was surprising because i was prepared for the hyperactivity. I read dosing is from 500mg to 1500mg. I am wondering if i should increase to 1000mg? He is almost 5. He is +/+ cbs and bhmt +/-.

1 5 6 7