Going over 23andMe results with our BioMed Dr.

Well after waiting for what seemed like two VERY long weeks to go over this mass amount of info from Anthony’s 23andMe results.  I finally have more answers, and less questions.  =-)

28993_web

Dr. Sletten isn’t so much concerned with Anthony’s one homozygeous CBS mutation.  Why?  Because Anthony’s ammonia levels on his NutrEval test show normal.  And his sulfur levels are normal on sulfite pee strips, and his glutathione levels are good.  So, it sounds like the other CBS genes that are both -/- are doing the job well.

3591a-anthonysresults

Anthony’s  two homozygeous BHMT gene mutations, and one heterozygeous  BHMT gene mutation, seem to be the cause of Anthony’s troubles.  Dr. Sletten said gene mutations can effect people in a lot of different ways.  It seems like my husbands side of the family has a history of speech issues.  And being there is a homozygeous gene mutation for BHMT, and Anthony and my husband Larry have both positively responded to TMG,  my husband could be homozygous for this gene mutation as well.   We will both be getting checked in the future with 23andMe.

Being Anthony has issues going on with all 3 of his BHMT pathways, Dr. Sletten says Anthony will need to stay on TMG, for life.  And possibly need to stay on  phosphtydlserine, and CoQ10 too. In regards to dosages and such, Dr. Sletten said it would be worth while to play with the dosages of TMG and phosphtydlserine.  We both believe that Anthony might need a bit more phosphtydlserine.  I currently give him 200mg in the morning before school.  He does great in class and keeps it together, but seems to fall apart from exhaustion and anxiety after school.  Which results in a explosive tantrums at least 1-2 times a week.   Sometimes he even naps after school.  His body is just done from having to use so much energy to stay focused and on task.  So we think the phosphtydlserine will help with this if I give him 1 capsule when he gets home from school.

We also talked about possible L-Carnatine to help with Anthony’s low muscle tone.  The kid literally has no fat on him.  Never has.  And he has that floppy’ness with his legs and arms.  We will explore this at a later date.

Dr. Sletten also mentioned that since Anthony has 2 VDR (Vitamin D receptor) gene mutations that are heterozygeous, and he might need a bit more vitamin D supplementation than the average person.  After a year of being on Vitamin D supplements, his levels were still barely normal.  So we will work on that.

So that is a brief summary of our biomed appointment.  I am thrilled we did the 23andMe test for Anthony.  And plan on doing it for the rest of my family at a later date.  It was well worth the $99.

I also wanted to add how much comfort this test gave me.  The results were totally Anthony, and explained so much.  The results gave us reasons behind many questions that I wondered for a long time.  Questions such as, why did Anthony respond so incredibly well to DMG and TMG, while some children don’t respond at all.  Why did epsom salt baths make Anthony so hyper? (sulfur)  And why did he have such a horrible time with detoxing.  A homozygeous BHMT gene mutation was behind it all.   Dr. Sletten knew from the very beginning, that methylation pathways were a big part of Anthony’s health issues.   And thankfully because of Dr. Sletten, we have had great success with Anthony healing.   I know in my heart,  Anthony would not be in a mainstream class with no aid, and therapy free with out Dr. Sletten’s help.

If you are interested in ordering a 23andMe kit, or learning more about the test.  Click here.

1395426_10151903050390682_716167982_n

1. Jenn Soehnlin
    Jenn Soehnlin October 15, 2013 at 4:40 pm | | Reply

Yay! I’m so glad you got the answers you were looking for. And thanks for stopping by my blog, that meant a lot to me, as your blog was the one that started me on the biomed journey. :)

BTW, we started using L carnitine a few months ago, and I’ve noticed a HUGE difference in kiddo’s speech, focus, and gross motor skills. I LOVE this stuff, but then it’s our silver bullet like the DMG was for Anthony. I didn’t notice any difference when we tried the DMG.

2. Gissela Welle
    Gissela Welle October 20, 2013 at 11:47 pm | | Reply

Thank you for sharing all that information. Was Anthony on folate and B12 on top of TMG and DMG? My dd is currently taking folate (5mthf) and hydroxycobalamin along with CoQ10 and L carnitine and others. She is doing great, it has help speech, she is less hypotonic, lost of new improvements since we started, but just want to move her speech forward since receptive language is not a problem and the gap between expressive and receptive since to be the cause of some behavior. So happy to see Anthony doing so well. It gives me so much hope.

3. kakrpa
    kakrpa October 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm | | Reply

Hi, I just came across your blog and wanted to first say congrats that you’ve gotten some answers and that your kiddo is doing so much better. I also wanted to reach out to you as it caught my eye in that your son and i have very similar results (BHMT results match; as well as CBS A360A, SHMT1, and MTRR A66G). There are a few results that differ (I’m MTHFR A1298C +-, MAO-A R297R +-, VDR BSM +), but since the BHTM results were the core problems for your son, I wanted to reach out as I’m wondering if that might be part of my puzzle as well (35yo female with 2 very little kiddos). My biggest concern is anxiety (unrelenting)! It’s severe enough that it’s considered OCD, pure-O kind due to the constant rumination.

I believe genetics plays a part in all of this, but I have yet to find a genetic specialist that understands all of this and can relate results to psych issues. Did your son deal with a lot of anxiety or just minimal? It would be great to compare notes – while I search for answers for myself, I just hope my kids won’t have to go through this either (I plan to get them tested as well). The more we all know, the better we can help others treat and prevent.

Also, does Dr. Sletten do phone consults? I’m in the midwest and am looking for someone who “get this” – possibly like Dr. S. :) How’s your son doing now? Hopefully still doing well! Is he still on TMG, phosphtydlserine, and CoQ10? Anything else? Did you try any methylation protocol? I did for my hetero MTHFR A1298C result, but I almost think I ended up overmethylating myself, making my anxiety worse. Would love to work with someone knowledgeable instead of guessing – I’m sure you can relate!

Look forward to comparing notes – thank you. :) K

4. Kristie
    Kristie October 27, 2013 at 6:18 pm | | Reply

We’ve just received my son’s 23 and Me Health results and I cannot locate a report on the MTHFR variants. We have not received the DNA ancestry; only the health report. Could you help direct me to where this may be contained in the 23 and Me results? Any help you can give, I would greatly appreciate! Thank you~ Kristie

5. Claire
    Claire November 11, 2013 at 2:17 pm | | Reply

hi! First and foremost I love your site, it’s been a big help in my own journey with my son. I plan on completing this test very soon. I am so intrigued by how many questions can be answered with just one test.

I had referred the Alletess IGg allergy test to a friend because I had found it very helpful for my son’s diet. I understand that the 23andMe test can pick up on food intolerance like gluten, but does it show any other foods? When she heard of this test she wasn’t sure if she needed to complete Alletess.

Claire

6. Lisa
    Lisa February 18, 2014 at 10:49 am | | Reply

Hello! I have been reading your posts via Facebook for a little while now and am so glad that I found your page and website!! You are always providing so much useful info just wanted to say I really appreciate it. I have been wanting to do the 23andme for my son and now realize that because things have changed per the FDA I cannot receive any health info from 23andme. ;( Do you think its still a good idea to order a kit – Im just not sure what info I’ll receive from them now. Thanks!!

LISA

7. Tami
    Tami June 18, 2014 at 1:33 pm | | Reply

I have loved your blog and have mentioned befor to you about my daughter who also responded well to TMG 1,000 mg from Seanson Vitamins. She has homo on BHMT 2,4,8 and all her language with adj. and adv. came back but she was also on her 12yh hard chamber HBOT dive as well. Did you know that you can now go to Dr. Amy Yasko’s web-site and put in your 24andme data for free into her recommendations for supplements for their DNA at holisticheal? Your son might do well with B12 energy spray that is the other two types of B12 and it tastes great and is only $15. I give just one spray under my daughters tongue. This is for COMT mutations. also, for MTRR and MTRR mutations need more B12. VDR bit D mutations do best when you combine their higher dose, (we do 5,000) Vit.D with fat such as Omegas or coconut oil and they also need chromium. I love Dr. Amy Yasko’s Vit D Spray and her Be Calm spray which helps B12 work better. Since we have added in Yasko’s suggestions, things have improved for everyone of my 5 children and for both myself and my hubby. It is so wonderful that we can understand our individual DNA makeup to improve out health.

8. samira
    samira July 30, 2014 at 5:36 pm | | Reply

Hi Kimberley

I just got my sons 23andme results back he also has BHMT-02
    BHMT-08 +/- for both.Do you know if dmg and tmg could be helpful in these cases? (both BHMT are yellow not red like anthony results ? Thanks you

9. Hoda
    Hoda August 11, 2014 at 10:35 am | | Reply

Hi Kimberley

I Have asked for advised on the yasko forum regarding my sons mutation and they Have I must do the whole protocol if I want to support mutation.

Is this what you did ?

10. Hoda,
    Hoda, August 17, 2014 at 5:41 am | | Reply

Hi Kimberley .

I Have 2 questions .

When you supported Anthony metHylation was He able to detox yeast,bacteria etc?

Also was Anthony ever on CHoline to support BHMT ?

Sorry for all the questions

11. Nan
    Nan October 10, 2014 at 6:48 am | | Reply

Hi Kimberly- your website is sooooo useful. I ordered 23andme kit and am waiting for the results for my son. He is 28 months and is nonverbal. Based on your post, I am sure we will get more info on how to get speech improvements for him. He just had a strep infection and is on cefdiner. Wanted to really thank you for your wonderful help through this website. I read all your posts and it gives me good direction to work with my doctor. I am working with a DAN! Doctor. Any reason homeopathy is better? I can understand the biomedical approach but I am unsure what homeopathy does? Is that better or different from biomedical?

12. Nan
    Nan October 10, 2014 at 6:52 am | | Reply

What is the best way to contact you? Can I email you with my questions? I am working on recovering my child and it will really help me to get some direction. You have done such an extensive research on everything- I am slowly reading all your stuff to understand what is going on in my son. I am so happy for you and your family. Your hard work has indeed been paid off. :). I can’t wait for the day when my son will speak so I can share my success story and help other moms out there.

13. Bl
    Bl September 4, 2015 at 9:19 pm | | Reply

How did u get the saliva in that amount needed to do the test for a 3 yr old

14. BANU TOPCU
    BANU TOPCU January 15, 2016 at 1:59 pm | | Reply

hi,
    i investigate 23andme website. i wonder if they send us a list of gene mutation? i ask this because i did not see a sample report at their web site. i want a gene mutation report as Anthony’s, not my ancestry report or neadrals.

15. Sskl
    Sskl September 9, 2016 at 5:56 am | | Reply

Hi.. My daughters Courtagen test is back.. She is homozygous for BHMT and NOS and DHFR. Awaiting Dr John’s appointment next week.. Anything i should be expecting or any tips before the consultation.. ?

16. Sskl
    Sskl December 21, 2016 at 8:13 pm | | Reply

Hi Kimberly
    DId Anthony had CBS upregulation after you start the methylation cycle( adding DMG/TMG)?
    Did you have issue with ammonia as BHMT mutation + CBS mutation can cause high amminia.
    How did you overcome that ?