Today I had a doctors appt. with Dr. John Catanzaro from Health Coach 7. Not for myself, but for Anthony.
Kinda shocking right? Since Anthony has been under Dr. Sletten’s care for the past 5 years. And honestly it has nothing to do with Dr. Sletten’s care or ability. I love him to death! And will sing Dr. Sletten’s praises till the day I die. He gave me my Anthony back! He gave Anthony his voice again, and healed him so much that Anthony is therapy free and in mainstream classes.
But the past year. Things have been difficult. We moved, so Dr. Sletten was now far away. Phone consults just were not cutting it, although we really tried! Dr Sletten’s case load is now so large (I would like to think that has something to do with me LOL) and honestly, I know his talent is needed with kids that are still trying to heal from their autism. BUT Issues were popping up for Anthony, and I just wasn’t getting answers for them. Anthony’s pediatrician, while a nice man, Does not understand biomed. I needed medical support for Anthony, and I needed to feel that 90% of the “Figuring It Out” processes, wasn’t on me. We ran a bunch of testing on Anthony. And once again his thyroid came back abnormal….. I will go into this more later on.
So earlier this year, back in February, I won a contest! Health Coach 7 gave me a FREE 23 and Me consultation. The appointment was amazing! And answered a lot of questions about my own health issues. Dr. Catanzaro even called me twice to see how I was doing. I finally got my butt in gear and started following his advice toward what supplements would be beneficial to me, based on my DNA. And you know what? My anxiety GOT BETTER!
My husband and I talked about how we needed to make a change. We needed to get Anthony in with a biomed doctor that we had more access to. One that could help us out with things other than autism type issues. However, I am such a loyal person. I didn’t want to “break up” with Dr. Sletten. I love him to pieces! He’s not just a doctor to my son. He’s my friend! Finding a doctor like him, One that honestly cares about you and your son….. well you don’t find them often anymore. But with a heavy heart, I knew I had to make the switch.
So today I had Anthony’s appointment with Dr. John Catanzaro from Health Coach 7. We went over Anthony’s 23andMe report. We went over all his labs from the past 2 years. It was extensive and took us almost 2 hours. The information we talked about was profound. So much that I will have to break this post into a 2 part series. But I will give you the cliff notes.
- Thyroid NEEDS TO BE TREATED! His numbers have been on and off for years. And genetically his thyroid looks worrisome. It runs heavy in the family as well. We will be starting Anthony on some selenium. You can read here how it helps with thyroid.
- We need to make sure Anthony always gets the following: Biotin and Thiamine, Vitamin D, and some P5P
- Gluten is BAD genetically for him. We knew this already. His body has issues digesting starches.
- For the OCD that has always been an issue, we are hoping by treating his thyroid with selenium, and a GABA/L-Theanine combo (need to use a combo with Anthony) this will FINALLY be a thing of the past. We are testing neurotransmitters.
- Anthony is hypoglycemic. He needs to eat consistently through out the day, or he melts down or crashes. We have suspected this for awhile. Probably why he’s always been such a good eater. I always have to have food on hand for him to snack on. And always have something ready to eat right when he wakes up and right when he gets out of school.
- PANS is not ruled out. But Dr. Catanzaro wants to run some other tests. Immune issues do show up pretty heavy on his DNA. But we want to make sure we are not missing anything.
I will do part 2 of my Health Coach 7 report in a week or 2. It is a lot to digest right now. So I’m going to go sit on the couch and de-compress from it all right now. LOL But for the moment. I am feeling a bit relieved. I feel we have Anthony in good hands. The 23 and Me test has been amazing for my family. It has showed us what supplements to avoid, and what ones our bodies would do well on. And it has been 100% true for my family. If you want to look into the 23 and Me test, check it out under my link “Testing we did” And now we have Dr. Catanzaro who is VERY knowledgeable with genetics. OMG I can’t stress that enough! He is a wealth of knowledge! I know we are in good hands.