Genetic Testing That Is Providing Answers to “Autism”

Back in November, Dr. Catanzaro recommended that we do the Courtagen genetic test for Anthony.   Even though we had done 23 and Me 2 years ago, he thought the Courtagen test could provide us with more answers as to possible health conditions Anthony might be having.  The big question was, was everything Anthony had experienced over the years truly Autism and PANDAS?   Or was this really something else?

12308777_693884080713220_4345612457342177553_n

We already knew based on Anthony’s 23 and Me, that his thyroid and glucose/insulin metabolism were an issue.

12239509_686186114816350_3316415175402698699_n

glucoseinsulin

This was also confirmed through blood labs.  High TSH levels,  borderline low iodine levels,  low selenium, and a pre-diabetic A1C.   We were truly on to something, and started treating these things with great result.

So while we waited impatiently for Anthony’s Courtagen results to come back, we implemented a diabetic type diet for Anthony.  High protein, low carb, with a fat.  I also have been tracking his blood sugar with a glucose monitor.  This pic below was taken 2 hours after dinner one night.  Too low!  Before we found out about Anthony’s insulin/glucose issues, I would of sent him to bed without knowing he was having blood sugar levels this low.   Implementing this change, has had a major influence on his mood swings he was having prior to.

12400687_708009855967309_7288833323877333567_n

We added selenium to his supplement list, and his OCD went away.  His TSH has also dropped a point since starting selenium.  He is still too high, but seeing a downward trend.

TMR-00018-1

So then the day came that I received Anthony’s Courtagen results!!  And out of what seems like thousands of genes that were looked at, Anthony had a few hits.  8 hits total. But 2  that have to do with glucose/insulin metabolism and fasting intolerance.  (you can click to make these pics bigger)

“Resulted in inhibition of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion by 5%-69%”

image1 (10)

“Some have a degree of intolerance to fasting”

image2 (2)

Dr. Catanzaro and Dr. Boles consulted with each other and are having me make a few changes.  We are trying Anthony on Magnesium Citrate, which is suppose to help with his glucose/insulin metabolism.  Also have added Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) for the ACADS gene mutation.  I will also eventually start him on some iodine for his thyroid.   But one thing at a time.

Courtagen is currently mailing out test kits for myself, my husband and my 5 year old daughter.  They will be testing for the variants that showed up on Anthony’s test results.  According to the test results, they want to find out if these variants are “de novo” or inherited and to correlate genotype with phenotype.   I of course will let you all know what this shows.

But what I am most excited about is, Dr. Catanzaro will be writing an article up for me, and all of you, explaining all of these results.  I asked him if he believed Anthony ever had autism based on his genetic reports, since he has seen his 23 and me and Courtagen results.   Dr. Catanzaro (and our new integrative pediatrician) both believe that Anthony’s thyroid and glucose/insulin metabolism has been one of the main root causes of his “autism symptoms”.    Genetically he does not have any of the genes doctors find common with those with autism.  In the article Dr. Catanzaro will be writing up, he will explain how Anthony’s thyroid,glucose/insulin issues could manifest as autism spectrum symptoms.   I’m interested in reading what he has to say.

I have always tried to be honest and upfront on my blog.   And to share everything I learn along the way.   To hear two very well versed doctors, that deal with autism every day, tell me they don’t believe Anthony truly had autism……  Well it has hit me like a ton of bricks!  At first when I heard this, I thought to myself. “YAY!”  And then I thought… “OMG my followers are going to think I’ve been a fraud, a poser, a fake!”  That they would think “Oh, her child doesn’t really have autism so everything she has told us, has no real bearing anymore”  But then I got to thinking.  If this happened to Anthony, to my child…… it HAS TO be happening to others!!!    Although the label may not be correct, the symptoms are the same.    It seems to be what we have thought all along is true.  AUTISM IS MEDICAL!  And this catch all diagnosis, is hindering some parents from exploring and digging for more answers.   Answers that are there if we keep on perusing the issue.   Our kids have medical issues going on, that CAN BE TREATED!  But some parents hear “Autism” and just think, that’s it.  But there IS A REASON!   A CAUSE!!!    Our children have autoimmune issues, mitochondrial disorders, vitamin deficiencies due to a damaged gut.    And the list goes on and on.  So we must keep perusing, doing the testing….. doing the WORK!

Genetic testing has been a big game changer in our journey, and I truly believe it is something everyone should peruse.   I will keep you all updated as the rest of my families results come in.   Until then readers, just keep digging!!

If you would like more information on obtaining a Courtagen test and applying for Courtagen care,  you can fill out the intake form here and a rep from Courtagen will contact you.  FYI those with medicare will not qualify  =-(    If you would like to make an appointment with Dr. Catanzaro, or just want more information,  you can read more info here Health Coach 7

1. Clarisse
    Clarisse January 21, 2016 at 6:07 pm | | Reply

this is truly amazing! Could you send me a link to the genetic testing that you do? My son Has been wait listed for 5yrs!! Up here in Canada to be tested. I believe a lot of his issues could be explained this way. I’m so happy to hear you have more answers and that your mama instincts were dead on!! 😊

2. Laureen
    Laureen January 21, 2016 at 7:16 pm | | Reply

We did the Courtagen testing in 2014 for my son and he popped for 2. One came from me and one from my husband. One was an enzyme deficiency for Hunters syndrome and we had the bloodwork done for that but it was negative.

My whole family enrolled in the genome study so we are going to get our entire genome sequenced. I am excited to get those results since we have a peek into me, my husband and son. I am really happy to get my NT daughters results so that they will know if there are any issues if they decide to have kids.

Glad you got some answers and thank you for sharing.

3. Christine
    Christine January 21, 2016 at 11:35 pm | | Reply

Wonderful news! My son’s doctor wanted to do a 23 and me test, but my son doesn’t even have the ability to spit :( …. Does this test require the test subject to send in their saliva?

4. Kelly
    Kelly January 22, 2016 at 1:12 am | | Reply

I do not recognize the results you show for 23’&me. Did you use
    another company to process the 23&me results for you? Can you please ask your doctor
    and post a link to them, please?

Thanks so much,
    Kelly

5. jas
    jas January 22, 2016 at 2:46 am | | Reply

That is amazing Kim, I know you are a great mum and love to help people I already done 23&Me and waiting for Dr.Catazaro appointment.

6. Nina
    Nina January 22, 2016 at 2:48 am | | Reply

This is amazing. But does this mean that there are SNPs in Courtagen that are not in 22andMe? There are 700,000 SNPs in the 23andMe test. It might be worth checking first to save money for some of us. Can you share which SNPs Courtagen is testing?

7. Frank
    Frank January 22, 2016 at 5:03 am | | Reply

I got word about this blog post and wanted to share this here for parents.
    It looks like if you have run the 23andMe test, these Genes will be in your raw data. Follow these links.

ACADS Gene: https://livewello.com/library/acads-acyl-coa-dehydrogenase-short-chain-deficiency-of-acadsd-7634?id=3564048

SLC25A10 Gene: https://livewello.com/library/slc25a10-gene-1880?id=3564048

Click ‘install’ and ‘view report’ to see your results.

8. edith
    edith January 22, 2016 at 10:29 am | | Reply

I have 23@me done for my boy. Should I run Courtagen and make an appointment with Dr. C.? Or rather he will advice Courtagen as an additional test if he wants more info?
    Thank you!

9. Rupa
    Rupa January 23, 2016 at 7:00 am | | Reply

What is the brand of glucose meter? It’s a breath test? Where do you buy it?

10. Kris
    Kris February 2, 2016 at 1:15 pm | | Reply

Great article! Thanks for posting!

11. Joanne
    Joanne February 3, 2016 at 3:48 pm | | Reply

Great news! I’ve always believed the spike in autism diagnosis is due to health/medical issues. I’m going to try that genetic testing with Health Coach 7 for my son. We did 23 and Me a year ago. Happy for you that you’re getting the right answers to help your son!!

12. Charlene Fields
    Charlene Fields February 3, 2016 at 4:56 pm | | Reply

Does Dr. Catanzaro meet via Skype or telephone? From the responses I am seeing, he seems to be a doctor that doesn’t necessarily have to be in your City/State. Can the Courtagen test be used for kids diagnosed with ADD?

13. Jennifer
    Jennifer February 10, 2016 at 2:16 pm | | Reply

Hi. I am looking at the courtagen website. my son had the 23 and me but i never got real good explanation of it. I would like to get the courtagen testing, but I would like to know which one you ordered? My son has suspected autism, but i’m not so sure, i feel he would benefit from the autism genetic testing as well as the mitochondrial testing. I’m guessing you have to specify which one you want or do they run them all? I see that your doctor has to order this test, is that right? would catanzaro’s group go over the results and maybe go over the 23 and me too? do you know?

thanks,
    Jen

14. Dee
    Dee February 13, 2016 at 10:58 am | | Reply

Anyone with a child on the spectrum should read the book “Healing the Symptoms of Autism”, by Kerri Rivera. Just read it. It’s a safe anti-parasitical protocol that has reversed Autism in over 200 kids so far, and hundreds, pehaps thousands more are halfway there. Pathogens and parasites are flooding the children’s systems with morphine and acetylaldehyde, and other metabolic toxins too numerous to mention here. Don’t assume you or your children can’t have parasites, because you have had a negative stool test. They are extremely inaccurate, and have many false negatives. Just assume you have them and go from there. Don’t assume that you are clean, and your food is clean, so you can’t have parasites, they are microscopic, and yes, you can have them. Don’t assume very young children can’t have them, babies of a few months old can easily have them. We are born with what ever parasites and pathogens our Mothers had.

15. Tracy Showalter
    Tracy Showalter February 14, 2016 at 10:00 am | | Reply

Hi kim, I have a 10 year old boy who has PANDAS. I am thinking of doing 23 and me, do you think I should do that as well as courtagen? He had bloodwork done and has the MTHFR gene mutation which has answered several questions but I am suspicious there is much more to the story. He is not autistic and was truly a normal functioning kid until strep 2 years ago. Now, he has all sorts of things going on, as well as some autistic like symptoms. Thanks!!

16. Monica
    Monica February 20, 2016 at 4:16 pm | | Reply

Hi,
    Can you please post the contact Information for Dr. Catanzaro?

17. Sskl
    Sskl June 21, 2016 at 12:09 am | | Reply

hi
    i am waiting for Genova’s Nutreval and CDSA test results and courtagen test results.
    I want to book appointment with Dr Catanzaro, should i wait until the results are out?
    How long one has to wait for his appointment , after booking ?

18. Sskl
    Sskl June 27, 2016 at 12:48 am | | Reply

Hi
    I have booked appointment under Dr Catanzaro.
    I am new to this app, Go To Meeting
    How does it work, Do i have to download it first in my laptop?
    How did u upload your lab data to him? can i just email the lab results to Kris Fobes?

19. giovanna franklin
    giovanna franklin July 19, 2016 at 1:56 pm | | Reply

Hi Kimberly, I see on the Healthcoach7 website you can only order the genetic test if you are a doctor; is there a way to access the services as a private patient? My family doctor here in the UK would not agree to anything like that…

20. Irene
    Irene November 24, 2016 at 3:21 am | | Reply

thanks to share all your experience with everyone. I’m really happy to see you lovely son is fully recovery for autism. My little boy is just 5 and we already start his biomed since this June. I would like to try 23andme and Courtagen for him. We are in London so i don’t think we can use Health coach 7, could you please tell me how can i contact Dr. Catanzaro?
    Many thanks and have a great thanksgiving day!

21. Irene
    Irene November 24, 2016 at 3:29 am | | Reply

and also, which test we should do in Courtagen? thanks again!